Okay, okay wait a minute before you click away from the page… I realise that like a lot of guys from our generation you are probably saying YOGA???? The hippie, stretchy, OM-chanting, über-flexible girls in a lycra leotard, well that could appeal to some ;-), or twenty-something muscled-up hipster guys with so much strength already from all the gym work they do, they can do a headstand using one arm! Well, I’m not, so please, hear me out.
You and are not getting any younger. I, and probably you, have a list of wear-and-tear injuries from life or maybe sport (Knees, Shoulders, etc.) that we cannot afford to make worse. Ideally, we want to improve our strength, mobility and mental health–No pills, no potions and with minimal expense. Right? Based on my personal experience, I know Yoga can do all of these things.
So why YOGA?
- You can do it cheaply (I’ll tell you how)
- Regular Yoga practice can improve flexibility and joint strength reducing your risk of injury and condition your body to perform better at things you have to do every day: walk, sit, twist, bend, and lift things.
- Once you have developed a repertoire of correctly executed poses, there is no need to join a gym which saves a lot of money. (NB. If you are new to Yoga, it would be worth finding a local class and practising with the guidance of a teacher for a while. It will give you a foundation and the sense of community you get with a group class is wonderful).
- With the knowledge of about a twenty exercise poses (Asanas in Yogi- speak), you can achieve a thorough resistance workout and stretch without risk of injury. YES, you can get plenty of low-impact resistance work to strengthen muscles as well as raising your heart rate–both are important as we age.
- Yoga is more than the poses – it includes breathing and meditation/mindfulness practices.
- Unless you want to, you need not engage with any of the traditional elements. I will introduce you to what you need to know in an approachable way.
- You can do it anywhere with a little space. A towel will do instead of a yoga mat or just on a carpet. Some cushions for a bolster. Your living room, a hotel room, a beach or a park.
- Yoga can help to reduce blood pressure.
- Yoga can help reduce stress and anxiety and improve mindfulness.
- Yoga can improve respiratory function.
- Yoga tones muscles all over your body, in balance with each other.
I have so much to share with and I hope you will allow me to guide you.